Best hitch bike rack. On one sunny day, you are taking a long journey or just hanging out around the city with your closest friends on the bicycle. Your best selection of transport for your bike is hitch-mounted racks.
By selecting the best hitch bike racks is not only to enjoy your journey or adventure but also to catch up with today’s fashion. Today, there are numerous varieties of hitch Bike racks’ products that can be suited to your demands and hobbies.
There are two main types: hanging shelves and platinum models.
In this article, we have selected the top-rated hitch bike racks. We discover the selection from the positive reviews about hitch bike racks from the verified customers. Read all the comparisons, pros, cons, specifications, ratings, our favorites, and reviews of these hitch bike racks and you can make a buying decision soon.
Our Quick Overview
- Best Overall: Kuat Racks NV 2.0
- Best for Versatility: Swagman CHINOOK Hitch Mount Bike Rack
- Best Platform Style: Hollywood Racks HR1400
- Best for Saving Storage Space: Swagman XC2 Hitch Mount Bike Rack
- Best Lightweight: Kuat Transfer V2 2 Hitch Bike Rack Kuat
- Best Expanded Arm: Yakima Bike Rack Mounted
- Best Secure: Thule T2 Pro XT 2 Hitch Bike Rack
Our editors research, and recommend the best products; you can learn more about our review process here. Primeareviews earns a commission through the affiliate links at no additional cost to you.
Hitch Bike Rack Comparison
|Kuat Racks NV 2.0 Hitch Bike Rack Kuat||120 pounds||9.4|
|Swagman CHINOOK Hitch Mount Bike Rack||90 pounds||9.4|
|Hollywood Racks HR1400||200 pounds||9.2|
|Swagman XC2 Hitch Mount Bike Rack||70 pounds||9.2|
|Kuat Transfer V2 2 Hitch Bike Rack Kuat||120 pounds||9.0|
|Yakima Bike Rack Mounted||120 pounds||9.0|
|Thule T2 Pro XT 2 Hitch Bike Rack||120 pounds||8.8|
Kuat Racks NV 2.0 Hitch Bike Rack Kuat
- The Kuat brand had been spending about three years fine-tuning and overhauling to excellent quality products. This Hitch Bike Rack Kuat NV 2.0 has compatibility with 4.8 in bike tires. The pivot design had been added with more power and strength to provide preserving power.
- You can simply install it by utilizing its tool-free installation knob. Once it is installed, it transforms into a solid work stand for trip day wheelset swaps and on-the-go maintenance.
- Hitch Bike Rack Kuat has been developed as an improved efficiency rack.
|Weight capacity||120 pounds total|
|Wheelbase capacity||Up to 48-inches|
|Dimension||36 x 23 x 8.5 inches|
“This is a nice hitch bike rack Kuat update. The hitch bike rack Kuat NV2.0 has a great look and a functional bike rack for cars. It provides nice features such as individual locks, adjustable cradles, wide tire acceptance, trail doc improvement, and foot assist!”
Kuat Transfer V2 2 Hitch Bike Rack Kuat
- The Kuat transfer hitch bike rack fits both 1.25″ and 2″ receivers as well as 20-inch to 29-inch tires. The hitch bike rack Kuat does not have contact with the bike frame once it is installed.
- Other features include clamps the bike by the wheels, self-adjusting wheel trays, and has a low loading height.
- You can lift or lower the hitch bike rack by using a foot pedal tilt release. There is an open support arm, for works with backup cameras.
|Weight capacity||120 pounds total|
|Wheelbase capacity||Up to 50-inches|
|Dimension||30 x 29 x 7 inches|
“This hitch bike rack Kuat is an innovative design for hitch-mounted racks for cars. It has one U-shaped bar. The rack for cars comes with a high-quality gloss paint finish for rust-free at the weld points!”
Best for Saving Storage Space
Swagman XC2 Hitch Mount Bike Rack
- To assemble this Swagman XC2 hitch bike rack, will only take a few minutes. The upright ratchet arms can be adjusted to accommodate bike frames up to 59 cm or 23.2″.
- This Swagman XC2 hitch bike rack product features a locking cable to lock down safely on your bike. It provides a convenient to use and simple to operate.
- The load capacity is up to 35 pounds per bike position.
|Weight capacity||70 pounds total|
|Wheelbase capacity||Up to 23.2-inches|
|Dimension||5 x 34 x 11 inches|
“Swagman XC2 has good solid construction. It will take only 20 to 30 minutes to assemble and install. All materials are not cheap stuff. You can mount the bike easily, and the bike will hold firmly on the rack!”
Best for Versatility
Swagman CHINOOK Hitch Mount Bike Rack
- This Swagman Chinook product has ratchet straps that can fasten down two bikes. To secure the top of the frame, it has the adjustable padded arms.
- Upper hooks and cradles are adjustable to fit any various sizes of bikes. Its padded hook ratchet can be as a security measurement.
- The padded hook can secure structure with a key for locking it. It is not movable until the ratchets are pulled out.
- This hitch bike rack product can be suitable for standard-sized hitches. Your trunk can be accessed when the frame tilted down and folded away when not in use.
|Weight capacity||90 pounds total|
|Tires sizes||12″ to 29″|
|Dimension||40 x 16 x 9 inches|
“Swagman Chinook can be installed or removed 60 seconds after assembly. The rack can hold bikes securely with locks individually. To access the rear hatch of the car, it can tilt out of the way. The dimension is so compact, that you do not need to remove the rack when the bikes are not mounted!”
Best Expanded Arm
Yakima Bike Rack Mounted
- This Yakima bike rack is a hitch-mounted type of car bike. It is not base mounted carrying rack, but rather provides an expanded arm to which the bike tubes are attached.
- The hitch bike rack is easy to set up onto your vehicle. The hitch bike rack is equipped with Speedknob to attach bikes into both 1.25 or 2 inches hitch.
- The product can load in a place using its zip strips.
|Weight capacity||120 pounds total|
|Tires sizes||20″ to 29″|
|Dimension||34.5 x 64 x 12 inches|
“The design of the Yakima bike rack is great that is easy to mount onto the hitch to the cart, You can take on and off the Xterra bikes as many times as you want. It is simple to get the bikes on and lock them down, and the Yakima bike rack holds any mountain bike sturdily in place!”
Best Platform Style
Hollywood Racks HR1400 Sport Rider SE 4-Bike Platform Style Hitch Mount Rack
- The Hollywood HR1400 Sport Rider is rather a heavy rack that can bring along up to four bikes on your vehicle’s rear. A two-in-one rack and one set of two conjoined platform-style racks must carry two bikes at the same time.
- It is a versatile hitch bike rack with the hooks on the clamping system. To operate easily, the hitch bike rack’s tilting component will fold.
- When not in use, a biker can fold the rack up against your vehicle’s backside to create room for spot parking.
|Weight capacity||200 pounds total|
|Tires sizes||20″ to 29″|
|Dimension||27 x 36 x 10 inches|
“This Hollywood Racks HR1400 is versatile, where you can mount an adult or kid bike with training wheels on the rack. You can put 18″ bikes on this rack!”
Thule T2 Pro XT 2 Hitch Bike Rack
- This hitch bike rack unit will provide the securest rides for your bike. You can set it up easily with its low loading height and tilt mechanism that make one-handed front wheel clamps easy.
- When not in use, fold up the hitch bike rack with a lever, and you do not have to take them off your vehicle.
- The price of the hitch bike rack is a reasonable price with free shipping. It is perfect for every bike rider.
|Weight capacity||120 pounds total|
|Tires sizes||20″ to 29″|
|Dimension||54 x 15 x 43 inches|
“Overall this Thule T2 Pro rack is great and works well for any bikes. Assembly was easy and fairly intuitive. Installation onto cars so far has been simple and easy!”
What are the various types of bike racks?
1. Roof rack
Roof racks have the most expensive options in bike racks with about $100-200 per bike. The price can be a consideration when choosing one bike rack.
However, roof racks can be used for many options with just one rack system to carry a kayak, skis, and bikes. Roof racks have the significant benefit of being scalable.
To carry only one bike, buy just one amount for one bike. But you can carry many bikes with just one roof rack.
To setup, a roof rack depends on your stature and your vehicle. The most common types of roof-mounted bike racks are “wheels on” racks and fork-mounted.
Fork-mounted racks are where the front wheel of the bike is removed, can hold the bike securely. They are easily lockable.
2. Strap-On Racks
Strap-on racks are far cheaper than other bike racks. Their price ranges from $50-150, with only a few features provided—a much effort like paddling and finagling to get bikes mounted.
The bikes and the rack itself can scrape the paint on your vehicle, so you might want to add more padding.
Strap-on racks tend to block access to the back of your vehicle completely. Strap-on racks can lead the way to meet the bike’s tire because it allows the bike’s wheels to dangle directly in front of the vehicle’s exhaust pipe.
Strap-on racks can be hard to lock. You might have to climb under the vehicle to find something to loop the cable through.
The odd frame shapes and children’s bikes can be difficult to mount on using a strap-on rack.
3. Trunk Racks
Trunk racks are an excellent choice of bike racks because they have versatility. They can be suited to numerous varieties of cars or SUVs or trucks.
These racks are easy to store and small in size. When not in use, the unit can be stowed away inside a vehicle’s trunk.
Trunk racks are more reasonable in price. Carrying bikes on the rear of a truck or vehicle provides easy access to your bikes once you reach your destination.
4. Hitch rack
Hitch-style racks are very popular in today’s market. These racks are built with a tilt feature to access the rear of a vehicle without having to take away the bikes.
Hitch racks will not touch the car to avoid scraping the paint or the body of the vehicle. With this rack, your bike is securely locked in your vehicle.
How to buy the right hitch bike rack?
1. What do you want to carry?
This question is probably the most important one to answer. If you are a biker and you do not want to carry any other things like kayak or skis, you can choose a hitch bike rack.
The best hitch bike racks tend to be more easy to use and economical compared to a roof rack that can carry other equipment.
2. What type of bike to carry?
To accommodate your hitch bike rack needs, factors like frame material, bike’s wheel size, and bike weight will determine which type of bike rack should be chosen. E-bike enthusiasts might want a bike rack that can support the weight of an e-bike upwards of 50 lbs.
Fat bike users will be searching for wheel scoops that can hold big-sized treads. It has to keep all accessories that fit your bike on the rack properly.
Rack versatility is very important to accommodate a tall adult bike and a children’s bike.
You have to be sure that the hitch bike rack you are about to purchase can fit the type of bike that you have. One standard men’s bike will commonly fit on almost any type of hitch bike rack.
While women’s bikes and children’s bikes may need special additional adapters, a racing bike with a carbon fiber frame might need them because they can be damaged by hanging from a rack’s arms.
3. What is your budget?
The budget is certainly very important in the purchasing decision. What is the maximum you would like to spend? What features are you willing to pay?
Hitch bike rack that is expensive does not mean it is the best product for you. You must discover all of the features provided and let that aid your decision.
4. What are the styles of the hitch bike rack?
Since you are purchasing a hitch bike rack, you have to decide on the style of the hitch bike rack. These are platform, hanging, and wheel only.
The platform type is the one that is like a tray that holds the bike securely during travel. The hanging type is where the bikes hang suspended from arms by their frames. The wheel only suspends the bike by the wheels, not the frame.
5. What is the weight of the bike?
On how easy it is to remove and install the weight of the rack will determine the hitch bike rack. How heavy is the rack? Can you do the installation and removal of your own? If you need to stow them away, is it light enough for the trunk or back of your vehicle?
6. What is the hitch size?
Commonly, hitch bike racks will fit a one to two-inch receiver. For a larger receiver, you have to buy another option of a bike rack or add an adapter.
7. What is the capacity?
If you have only one or two bikes, you can have many choices to choose from. But if you carry bikes for the whole family, you have to purchase another option of a bike rack.
How to maintain a hitch bike rack?
These are the most important hitch bike rack consideration of maintenance.
1. Read the instruction manual
Most bikers do not bother to read the instruction manual once they purchase a hitch bike rack. The instruction manual provides additional considerations and aids you to match the right hitch bike rack with the right vehicle.
2. Clean the contact point of the vehicle
Before installing the hitch bike rack, clean the vehicle at all the points of contact with the vehicle. Clean with a clean cloth to remove any tiny particle, fine grit, other unseen particles, and pollen.
The dirt removal will make sure a better fit for the rack.
3. Clean the contact point of the bike
Same as the point above, the rack components must be cleaned, especially on rack hooks and feet. It is useful on trunk racks, where the feet of the hitch bike rack will be placed on the vehicle.
Store the rack off the ground, or on its side to make sure that the rack feet are not sitting on the dusty ground.
4. Inspect for any damage
Before loading your bike onto the hitch bike rack, scrutinize your bike rack and find any signs of scoops, hooks, wear, straps, and other components. Make sure to replace any damaged or wearing immediately.
If you see anything on the hitch bike rack that does not look right, call the hotline number of the manufacturer.
5. Clean the hitch bike rack
Hitch bike racks are recommended to be washed by hand with a mild detergent or dish soap. Do not clean them through an automated car wash.
6. Be gentle on the lock
The lock on your hitch bike rack is like a bike chain. Try to cycle the lock frequently throughout the year. Lube the lock to prevent the lock core from seizing up. A couple of cycles will provide the longevity of the hitch bike rack lock.
7. Remove when not in use
If you take your way for good care and maintenance of your hitch bike rack, it will make sure a longer lifetime. One sure way to decrease the life of your hitch rack is to leave it on your vehicle 24/7, especially during winter.
If you do not need your hitch bike rack for the next week or a couple of days, it is recommended to give the hitch bike rack a well-deserved rest.
Frequently ask question
What size hitch do I need for a bike rack?
Many hitches have 2″ x 2″ or 1-1/4″ x 1-1/4″ receiver openings. With a 2″ x 2″ receiver opening, any hitch bike rack will fit. If the hitch is 1-1/4″ x 1-1/4″, to have the suited hitch bike rack, you should find out the class to suit.
Do I need a hitch for a bike rack?
All hitch mount bike racks attach to a vehicle’s tow hitch. In order to attach the rack, you require to have a hitch. A sedan with insufficient rear suspension may not hold the extra weight of a bike rack. SUVs and trucks can withstand the weight of the bike cantilevered off the back.
Can you open your trunk with a bike rack on it?
Bike rack manufacturers do not recommend opening the rear hatch or trunk with a hitch bike rack installed. A hitch-mounted bike rack that can fold down can provide access to open the trunk of the vehicle.
How much does it cost to install a hitch?
Standard hitches’ prices can go from $150 to $800. A Gooseneck hitch costs $400 to $800. A fifth wheel hitch can go from $500 to $2,500.